Thursday, December 29, 2016

A Force to Be Reckoned With


Christmas 1977 followed a Summer of multiple viewings of Star Wars, the greatest film ever made, according to me in 1977. That is when I "got" Christmas and all the hubbub, I finally understood the fuss.  That was the year Santa left me the best gifts ever, the first, a Star Wars alarm clock.

The alarm clock was hilarious, what four year old needs an alarm clock? Where did I have to be ? Truth be told, I was a horrible pre schooler, a holy terror in the morning. I hated getting up and getting me dressed and out the door was an ordeal. Being people of science, I believe my parents formulated a hypothesis that if the got me a fun alarm clock with C3PO calling me a little Rebel and telling me it was time to get up would defuse my morning tantrum and invigorate me starting my day off on a positive note. Me, being a child of the Arts rolled back over and tried to get back to my lucid dreams. Very shortly there after, The alarm clock was placed in a box and stored in the basement, imagine the end of Raiders when they locked up the Ark of the Covenant, but no fork lift. That is one of the few items that has made every move with me, because C3PO was right, I am a little Rebel. The only other thing that has followed me as long is anxiety.

The second gift that year, a Princess Leia doll, not action figure but a doll. Santa gave me a badass intergalactic princess to be friends with. Like her, we thought we were only children. She was  so very beautiful, she was an excellent listener and she protected me from Darth Vader, he haunted my lucid dreams you see.  Princess Leia was not afraid of anything, I was afraid of everything, but I pretended like I was not. She was a diplomat and warrior, I was a socially awkward kid who wore my shoes on the wrong feet at least four days a week. We were a mis matched pair, but she gave me goals and hope that I would not always be small and grouchy and would master  getting my shoes on the right feet.  

Princess Leia is a larger than life character that resonates with the world just as strongly as she did 40 years ago. My heart leapt and filled with the of joy I had not felt since I was four when she appeared in the Force Awakens and Rogue One. I know I clapped and cried because I was so happy to see my old friend.  As it turns out, the real bad ass was Carrie Fisher. Actor, author, advocate and most important, authentic person. She blazed a trail for strong women characters who could strike the balance of tough and tender in all if her roles, Star Wars to Drop Dead Fred. She was a sharp and witty author, playwright and storyteller and a script doctor bringing humor and humanness to horrific and soul crushing situations, the majority true stories she experienced, from an interview with the CBC in September this year,  “Because I grew up in a public family, I never really had a private life. And so if those issues are going to be public, I would rather them to be public the way I’ve experienced them rather than someone else assuming things about me. It’s freeing to do it. Shame is not something I aspire to.”

She was a mental health advocate who unashamedly discussed her life with mental illness and addiction, and like a Rebel, she embraced it, celebrated it, owned it, and profited in so many ways from her truth and authenticity.  She shares the moment to moment existence with bipolar disorder inher  book and one woman show Wishful Drinking “One of the things that baffles me (and there are quite a few) is how there can be so much lingering stigma with regards to mental illness, specifically bipolar disorder. In my opinion, living with manic depression takes a tremendous amount of balls. Not unlike a tour of Afghanistan (though the bombs and bullets, in this case, come from the inside). At times, being bipolar can be an all-consuming challenge, requiring a lot of stamina and even more courage, so if you’re living with this illness and functioning at all, it’s something to be proud of, not ashamed of. They should issue medals along with the steady stream of medication.”

I have changed a great deal since that Christmas Morning. My shoes reside on the correct foot 99.9% of the time, I am now a morning person for the most part, I still get grouchy, but I am not near the holy terror I once was.  I have also learned to manage the crippling anxiety and panic attacks that made my world very small for a very long time. The good days outnumber the bad days and my world is getting bigger. I can still feel the fabric of my dolls dress, the silk of her hair, and smell her rubbery arms and feet and I can feel that little Rebel awakening and stepping into the role of advocate and taking giant steps toward being the authentic being she was at four

Carrie Fisher continues to give us a role model for transparency, activism and authenticity in her body of work, she inspires and she is gone way to soon. 
The world needs all its rebels in all shapes and sizes and levels of badassery, an icon fell silent and it will take an army of warriors to fill those magnificent shoes. We have to step up, all of us, and continue her message. 

Carrie is a name that derives from Charles meaning army and warrior. She amassed an army, so I encourage all of us to embrace our struggles, advocate for causes and people in need of justice and our voices and carry on, or maybe Carrie on.
#CARRIEON


No comments:

Post a Comment